General Aviation Training

Want to go further? Fly higher? Carry more passengers?

Onwards toward Recreational Pilot Licence or Private Pilot Licence is the way to go. 

If and when you are ready to progress towards a CASA Recreational Pilot Licence (RPL), you will be guided through the process by one of us. Your previous RAAus Certificate counts fully towards an RPL, you will need to jump through a few small bureaucratic hoops to get an Aviation Reference Number (ARN), a Medical, an Aviation Security Identity Card (ASIC) and a Flight Review in an appropriate aircraft.  Clearly you can expect to spend some time training in the heavier aircraft to enable you to attain the standard, typically this may take 5 to 10 hours.  There are however no additional theory exams required.  In spite of this your knowledge will continue to increase, and if you choose, as a lot of people do, to incorporate Controlled Airspace/Aerodrome Endorsements into your training then you will need to pass an in-house exam on those procedures.

You can add lots of endorsements on to your RPL, such as Floatplane, Tailwheel, Retractable, Manual Propeller Pitch Control, Aerobatics  and Formation.  However Night Flying, Twin Engine or Instrument qualifications will require you to attain the next step of full Private Pilot Licence (PPL).

An RPL with endorsements is essentially a PPL, all you will need to do to upgrade, is to complete the CASA PPL theory exam and to pass a flight test, which will include a fairly big Navigation exercise including some Controlled Airspace work. The PPL step is one that is often missed out these days, and pilots that want to progress from RPL, often elect to go straight to Commercial Pilot Licence.

What are my aircraft choices? …. Your choices range from our Super Cub – now on floats and Super Decathlon, through to the Cessna 172 and Cessna 182RG.  If you decide Tailwheel is for you, then anticipate 5 to 15 hours (depending on ability) to “wake your feet up”!

Once competent tailwheel you can proceed to “IYA”, our Super Decathlon for Constant Speed Endorsement.  Then, if your ‘gyros’ are up to it, into some aerobatics or advanced stall/spin training.  If your aspirations are more nostalgic, then how about getting familiar with DH82 Tiger Moth?  Now there’s an aeroplane that will keep you honest! 

If taking the family to Kangaroo Island or across the Gulf, or even if interstate is your ambition, then into the high wing Cessna 172 or Cessna 182RG for your advanced navigation training and controlled airspace work.  These aircraft can also be used for basic instrument flying.

What about flying at night?  Yes, of course, we can do that as well.  Weather requirements are more stringent for Night VFR, so there is a greater chance of having to reschedule. Simulator training can be incredibly beneficial towards the award of a Night Rating.

Floatplane Endorsements are now available on Wipline 2100 amphibious floats. Expect to have 5 – 7 hours of fun on the water! Even if you are not chasing the ‘Endorsement’ why not come and try a 1 – 2 hour Floatplane Experience!

IFR and Multi Engine training is available in aircraft belonging to our customer or in our IFR aeroplanes.

Instructor training for RAAus, General Aviation (all grades) as well as many training Endorsements and Ratings are also available.